Pages

Monday 18 June 2012

Track is a microcosm of life. Learn from it.

So, a lot has happened since my last post but not in the way that I hoped. It has taken a lot of mental processing for me to get to this point where I can talk about things somewhat objectively. I ran at the Harry Jerome International Track Classic and the Victoria International Track Classic and, while I learned a lot from each race and ran a season’s best in Victoria (4:14.35, 2nd place), I have not run an Olympic standard. All I can say at this point is that I have in no way reached my potential for the year. In fact, I feel like I am just getting going and remembering how to race again after last year’s hiatus. Unfortunately, I could not have predicted that injury and illness in April would really hamper my chances of running fast, but I really think it did given such few racing opportunities this year. I have only been in one race all season where someone even broke 4:10.

At this point, I am just focusing on the Olympic Trials/Nationals and really excited about the chance to be in a competitive racing situation. This is probably one of the most competitive years for the Women’s 1500 metres that I can remember so it’s not going to be easy for anyone with an Olympic standard to come Top 3. It’s going to be messy! I’m going to enjoy every second of it. 

After Nationals, I am going to focus on getting the PB that I know I am capable of. I am super grateful to be feeling great at this point in the season. Better to be under-raced than over-raced.

Some much needed words of enlightenment that I just encountered:

“Knowledge is learning something every day. Wisdom is letting go of something every day”.

-Zen Proverb

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I have just found your blog by your husband´s website! I love the 1500m and the training for them (I am a recreational athlete and won´t share my 1500m personal best, it is too ambarassing!)! I am happy to get a little inside into your training routine and hope that you are going to share a little more about how you train! I do not know when the Canadian Olympic Trials are (I am from Germany) but I wish you luck and hope that you are going to have the chance to compete at the Olympic Games, this must be the highlight of an elite athlete´s carreer!

    ReplyDelete