Pages

Monday 26 March 2012

Getting the cobwebs out...

I ran the 1500m at the Arizona State University Invite on Saturday and it went well. I wasn't going to open up my season until April 7th but training has been going well and I wanted to get a race in before the qualification window begins. My coach and I knew that this race was probably going to be tactical with no one really going for times yet, so despite my own urge to time trial it (NOT usually a good idea!),  I was instructed to just use the race as an opportunity to practice my racing skills.

I'm glad I did, as it totally felt like a championship race: slow through the first 1000m with a nice wind up and then a kick to the finish. I was in the lead from the start but I didn't try to push the pace until the last 500m. We went through 800m in 2:23! Ahhh! Painfully slow but then, of course, the wind up begins... I won the race in 4:21.08 and I was happy that I was able to finish the last 300m in 47 seconds. Lots left in the tank. Good practice for Nationals. ;)

The next one will be on April 7th back at the ASU track once again. 

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic result Julia! Good for you and good boost for confidence going into Nationals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Julia! I am sooo excited to follow your racing season this year! xoxo

      Delete