Pages

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Rant and Roar Like a True Newfoundlander

The idea of starting a blog is terrifying, but no more terrifying than running a race in front of thousands of people. In the same way that your time and placing will be permanently accessible to the public after a race, so too will this blog be available to the masses on the “tinternet”, as my Mom says, which is why it has taken me awhile to actually post this post, haha. Oh yeah, and also, Fadder gave out the URL before I had any posts on it, which also gave me a kick in the arse. Thanks for that. :P
So, why write this blog? Well, as I continue to pursue my goals in this sport, I realize that being an elite runner can be isolating– in terms of becoming isolated from other loved ones who are non-runners- while on the other hand, provide opportunity for connection with other runners: connections through this sport are often long-lasting. So, first, I want to decrease the disconnect between myself and those interested non-runners, i.e., my family and friends, when I am on the road for training and competition. As much as I hate talking about myself, I hope that through this blog I can begin to paint the picture of my unique lifestyle and the trials and tribulations of a Canadian middle distance runner, especially in an Olympic year.
Secondly, I want to facilitate connection with other runners/coaches, as I have learned through a decade of competing at a high level in this sport that you don’t improve unless you are open to new ways of doing things and new perspectives on training and preparing for competition, both mentally and physically. And finally, I hope that my rants (and probably some roars) can provide some inspiration (and some reality checks) for others who are passionate about running and who want to pursue the sport at a high level. 

Ready to giv 'er,
Julia 


No comments:

Post a Comment